ABOUT THE PARK 1857 - 2018
1857 The Grand Opening
The Grand opening of the park was in 1857, and created a sensation in the town.
Blackburn was deserted as the Mayor led the procession from the town hall to the park to the official opening. Shops were closed at noon and manufacturers let loose their thousands of employees so that they could participate.
There was plenty of drama on the opening day. The cannon battery at the top of the park roared and thundered to welcome over 60,000 attendees. Many of the crowd had their own guns and they fired them enthusiastically into the air. There were fireworks & rockets which launched cascades of coloured fire into the air.
The park inspired the generosity of public benefactors; Mayor William Pilkington donated three fountains, Alderman Cunningham donated two black swans to adorn the lake which had already been stocked by gifts of duck and geese from local people. In 1958
Mr Walsh an ornithologist from Beardwood,opened the aviary and donated thirty birds.
1863 The Broad Walk was constructed providing work for hundreds of cotton workers during the Cotton Famine. The paths were paved with stones from the quarries on the upperslope.
1900s The original bandstand was demolished and a larger one built on the same site at a cost of £2,000.
2006 The Park is reopened by the Mayor & Mayoress celebrating the
3 million pound refurbishment.
The Park in 1857
1923 First two bowling greens are laid below the eastern end of the Broadwalk.
The Sebastopol cannons
1870 Some of the original stone steps
1970'sThe childrens play area is very popular
1863 Rail Bill to Blackburn. Day trip to Corporation Park
1890 The Preston New Road Entrance
1950's White swans adorn the lake
Childrens cycle track, 6 Tennis courts, older childrens adventure area, 3 bowling greens with new bowling pavilion, younger childrens play area with slides & swings, basket ball court and new discovery trail, with discovery stones which take the visitor right around the park.
Please go to this link to see an ariel view of the childrens playground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9qVCzxZl8I
The Parks Wildlife
The park has an array of wildlife, including many birds
Structures of Interest
1923 The tennis courts.
1923 The park landscape before the Italian gardens were laid
27 August 2013
Corporation Park, the Entrance Gateway and Lodge have been upgraded to Grade II* listed.
Grade II* are particularly important of more than special interest.
This national review by English Heritage has identified it as an early park, integral to Blackburnís mid C19 expansion and improvements, with its original design relatively little altered.
Pigeons & Woodpeckers
Great Spotted Wood Pecker
Common GullRare visitor
King FisherVery rare visitor
Birds of prey
Perching Birds & Song Birds
Long tailed tit
Yellow wag tail
Pied wag tail